Nørreskoven Forest on the north side of Vejle Bay is one of the most frequented forest in the area – one that invites you to enjoy many outdoor experiences. The very versatile piece of nature offers grave mounds, dried out springs and monuments. Nørreskoven is particularly well-known for the large beech trees from the early sixteenth century. Also enjoy a stroll in Dyrehaven (deer park). See the forest from above in the treetop climbing park, Gorilla Park Vejle, or challenge yourself to the forest trails by the sports college, Vejle Idrætshøjskole.
The forest has an extensive hiking trail system.
The Dyrehaven area
Dyrehaven (deer park) stretches over a 30-hectare area in the south-eastern part of Nørreskoven. The motorway cuts through the heart of the woodland, but there is a passage between the two sections under the arches of the Vejle Bridge, where you can also admire this huge construction. It is possible to get very close to the 2 deer species fallow deer and bead. Please note: it is not allowed to feed the deer.
Obstacle course, mountain bike trails and disc golf
By Vejle Idrætshøjskole (sports college) in the north-eastern part of Nørreskoven there are mountain bike trails, obstacle courses (Skovbanen) and a disc golf course. There is access to the area from Nørremarksvej via Ørnebjergvej east of the college.
The hilly woods of Nørreskov are ideal for mountain biking. The five-kilometre mountain bike trail is easy to use for all. The track is shaped like a figure eight and offers two difficulty levels. The hard track surface means that the trail can be used year-round regardless of weather conditions. The 600-meter obstacle course, built using forest materials, is somewhat more demanding. The area also has a disc golf course that can be booked through the college’s training centre.
Tales from Nørreskoven
Nørreskoven comprises the areas known as Forkobbel, Bagkobbel and Polakkerskoven.
The former ski jumping hill is one of the curiosities of the Bagkobbel area. It was built during World War 2 in connection with the very cold winters.
Polakkerskoven got its name from some Polish mercenaries, who roamed the forest during the Swedish War in the years 1658-60. The citizens of the city captured the Polaks and built their skulls into the north gable of Saint Nicolai’s Church, where they are still seen.
Far into the seventeenth century, the holy spring of Helligkilden was visited by sick people on May 1 and on Midsummer Day. In 1905, the spring was restored, but has since dried out.